Thursday, June 30, 2011

Grocery Shopping

Well, for those of you who don't know, Herbert is out of town this weekend.  So, I am responsible for all meals, snacks, etc that I consume.  This wouldn't seem like a big undertaking, but he cooks and we eat out A LOT, so I was a little worried about being able to eat good stuff this weekend.  At least good for me.  Normally I would do fast food, frozen pizzas, and potato chips, but this weekend, I knew that I couldn't do that.  I started on the Weight Watchers (Hereafter will be referred to as WW) web-site looking for good recipes that aren't overly difficult or expensive.  I also decided that I wanted my stuffed bell-peppers, but knew that I had to skinny them down a bit.  I finally decided on an enchilada pie made with ground turkey, whole wheat tortillas, and fat-free cheese served with fat free refried beans.  Sounds yummy, and I'm good at seasoning Mexican food.  That's dinner for tonight.  Tomorrow I am going to cook my NEW stuffed bell peppers where I eliminate the olive oil (I bought olive oil cooking spray), and switch the 85/15 ground beef to 93/7 ground turkey.  These should end up being 8 points a serving, and I get WAY more than that. 
With grocery list in hand I take off down to ...  WAL-MART.  I never NEVER shop at Wal-Mart, but I needed some TP so I figured this was the best option.  It took me 2 hours of reading labels, comparing carbs, fat, etc, to finally fill my buggy.  As I was leaving, even though I was tired of hunting for pop-corn (I never did find it by the way), I was really proud of not taking the easy way out.  I am excited about my new recipes, am about to go through and label points on all my food to make life easy, and quite honestly, am ready to eat dinner.  I'm glad that I did some research before going though.  It definitely made the trip easier. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to hear how you like the recipe....if you love it please post it! I never ever go to Wal-Mart either; it's a stressful place! And don't worry, you won't always be spending 2 hours reading labels, etc. After awhile you will just know and be able to go straight to what you need and you won't even see the rest. I used to love the potato chip aisle and cookie aisle....now I rarely even go down them, I just forget to tell you the truth. Keep up the good work; even though it seems like you're doing all this cooking.......for only 1 person, just think, you'll have leftovers! You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete